Re: Updated macOS start scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Dilger
Subject Re: Updated macOS start scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Nov 28, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/28/17 14:07, Mark Dilger wrote:
>> Upon further review, I have noticed that `pg_ctl stop` does not work once
>> the org.postgresql.postgres service has been started.  I was trying to stop,
>> reinstall and re-initdb and restart postgres and this service was a pita.  I had
>> to go back to your osx.patch to remind myself what I had done and only then
>> could I stop the service and continue my work.
>
> But isn't that the point?  If you use this setup, you are supposed to
> use launchctl to control the service, not pg_ctl.  The same applies to,
> say, a systemd setup.  If you are using a process manager, then trying
> to control the process outside of that process manager isn't going to
> work well.

Right, and I said something similar below:

"I think anybody who uses launchctl on mac should already know what it does.
I'm not too concerned about that.  I think the hazard is that somebody who does
not normally use launchctl on mac, but who reads through the postgres
contrib/start-scripts directory, will follow the instructions in this patch and
form a false expectation about what will result from configuring their mac laptop
this way."

I'm just saying the patch needs an update to the documentation to make this
clear to users.

mark