Re: dblink: rollback transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oleg Lebedev
Subject Re: dblink: rollback transaction
Date
List pgsql-general
John,

The example I provided was for illustrational purposes only :) The
problem that I am trying to solve is more complex. Basically, I am
trying to propagate remote data from remote tables and install it in the
local tables. I do this operation in a loop as follows:

For j IN all_tables LOOP
    1. Bring remote data from remote_tables[j] (using dblink)
    2. Insert received data in local_tables[j]
    3. Delete data from remote_table[j] (using dblink)
END LOOP

Suppose I successfully ran the first loop iteration, but the second
iteration caused step 2 to through a "duplicate key" exception. This
will cause the effects of both loop iterations to roll back. However,
only local operations (step 2), but not the remote operations (step 3)
are rolled back. This causes the data brought and installed into the
first table to be deleted locally (i.e. step 2 of the first iteration is
rolled back), but not restored remotely (i.e. step 3 of the first
iteration is NOT rolled back). Therefore, I lose data for the first
table completely both in the local and remote locations.

Is there any way to roll back a remote dblink Xaction? Does anyone have
a better solution for my problem?

Thanks.

Oleg