Re: show all; - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: show all;
Date
List pgsql-patches
Marko Kreen <marko@l-t.ee> writes:
>> That's not even *close* to being all the SET variables.
>> You forgot GUC.

> Actually not.  But I thought the GUC should be under separate
> command, like 'show config'.  The SHOW ALL should show
> all SET-able vars.  I understand the GUC ones are RO.
> Am I mistaken?

Yes, you are.  GUC supports several different levels of settability,
none of which are truly "read only".  In any case ISTM that "SHOW ALL"
should show *everything*.  I suppose there might be a use for a "SHOW
SETTABLE", or something like that, that would only show the variables
you currently have permission to change.

Actually, the variables that are still special-cased in variable.c
should all be folded into GUC, IMHO: there shouldn't be anything that
Get/SetPGVariable know about but Get/SetConfigOption don't.  The
original version of GUC couldn't handle this, but now that there is an
assign_hook for GUC variables I think it could be done.

            regards, tom lane