Re: 7.2 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martín Marqués
Subject Re: 7.2 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:

> > > * Point-in-time data recovery using backup and write-ahead
> > log > * Allow row re-use without vacuum (Vadim)
> >
> > Yhis one is not very important for my, but I guess there are
> > people out there that have heavy updates on there DB and would
> > be delighted with this.
>
> Yes, this important especially for databases that have to be up 24
> hours a day.

I always thought that VACUUM was (especially) for 2 main reasons there:- Clean de tuples marked for deletion.- Make the
newstatistics. (-z)

Lots of tuples get marked for deletion on UPDATE and DELETE, am I right?

> > > * Add the concept of dataspaces/tablespaces [tablespaces]
> >
> > What would this be?
> >
> > What I'm about to write has nothing (at least I think) to do
> > with this, but I would like the database directoies to have the
> > name of the databases, as it was before, if it's posible.  It
> > makes it easier to find out with database is growing from the
> > command line.
>
> We have a /contrib utility called oid2name for that.

I'll check that. :-)

> > > * Allow better control over user privileges [privileges]
> >
> > If this is related with the views and privileges, I'm on this
> > one!
>
> Not sure what the problem is there.  We already implement privileges on
> views that are separate from the base tables.

I personally have not had any problems, but heard on the general list. Could
have been bad configuration, or wrong GRANTS. I didn't follow the thread so
closely.

Saludos... :-)

--
El mejor sistema operativo es aquel que te da de comer.
Cuida tu dieta.