Re: How does one return rows from plpgsql functions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How does one return rows from plpgsql functions?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql@rkirkpat.net> writes:
>     So, how do I get back and access the entire row returned from a
> function without calling it multiple times?

You don't.  The syntax just doesn't support it, and no I don't want to
put in common-subexpression recognition.

We have talked about functions as table sources:

    SELECT t.col1, t.col2 FROM myfunction(yaddayadda) AS t;

in which presumably the function would only be invoked once (per row?).
Alex Pilosov was working on this, IIRC, but I dunno when it will be done.

            regards, tom lane