Re: Possible encoding issue (win7) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible encoding issue (win7)
Date
List pgsql-general
gmb <gmbouwer@gmail.com> writes:
> Using a Delphi app with ZEOS components to connect to server (on
> localhost) and get this message:
> SQL Error: invalid encoding name in PGCLIENTENCODING: WIN1252
> (Running Windows 7 (64x), postgres 8.3.7)

If the message is spelled exactly that way then it's not coming from
anything in the standard Postgres distribution --- we might say
"invalid encoding name "something"" but there's noplace that would
put a reference to PGCLIENTENCODING in the middle.  I infer that the
complaint is coming from something in Delphi or ZEOS.  You might have
better luck asking in support forums for those products.

FWIW, we added support for WIN1252 encoding in Postgres 8.1.  One
possible theory is that this is coming from client-side code that
thinks it knows all the encodings supported by Postgres but hasn't
been updated in a long time.

> Initially I installed with server and client encoding as WIN1252. But
> since I got the error I tried an re-installing with
> locale = C, encoding = LATIN1 (server and client). But this did not
> solve the problem.

I'm thinking that this is probably driven by the locale environment on
the client side --- something is trying to set the client_encoding to
match that, and failing for some reason.  So changing server encoding
wouldn't help.

            regards, tom lane