Re: Possible encoding issue (win7) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gmb
Subject Re: Possible encoding issue (win7)
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank for the quick response Tom

> If the message is spelled exactly that way then it's not coming from
> anything in the standard Postgres distribution --- we might say
> "invalid encoding name "something"" but there's noplace that would
> put a reference to PGCLIENTENCODING in the middle.  I infer that the
> complaint is coming from something in Delphi or ZEOS.  You might have
> better luck asking in support forums for those products.

Will do

> FWIW, we added support for WIN1252 encoding in Postgres 8.1.  One
> possible theory is that this is coming from client-side code that
> thinks it knows all the encodings supported by Postgres but hasn't
> been updated in a long time.

I suspect this is the case - the version of Zeos may be outdated.

> > Initially I installed with server and client encoding as WIN1252.
>
> I'm thinking that this is probably driven by the locale environment on
> the client side --- something is trying to set the client_encoding to
> match that, and failing for some reason.  So changing server encoding
> wouldn't help.

Is it just coincidence that the message displays WIN1252 - the
encoding of my first time install? (BTW this may have been an 8.4
installation, soon after I unintalled and installed 8.3.7).
I was wondering (hoping) that there may be some reference (config/
registry) to WIN1252 as enocding which I can locate and remove.