Re: SATA drives performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: SATA drives performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
--- On Fri, 25/12/09, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> It does kind of knock the stuffing out of the argument that
> buying
> from the big vendors ensures good hardware
> experiences.  I've had
> similar problems from all the big vendors in the
> past.  I can't
> imagine getting treated that way by my current
> supplied.  It's one
> thing for some obscure bug in a particular ubuntu kernel to
> interact
> poorly with a piece of equipment, but when a hardware RAID
> controller
> arrives in a basically broken state, that's
> inexcusable.  It's really
> not too much to expect working hardware on arrival.

Last month I found myself taking a powerdrill to our new dell boxes in order to route cables to replacement raid cards.
Havingto do that made me feel really unprofessional and a total cowboy, but it was either that or shitty performance.