Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2010/2/15 Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu>:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM, marcin mank <marcin.mank@gmail.com> wrote:
>> LOG:  could not link file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.2367" to
>> "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000000" (initialization of log file 0,
>>

> This is not related -- it seems your filesystem doesn't support hard
> links. I thought we used "junctions" on versions of Windows that
> support them which I would have expected would include XP but my
> knowledge of Windows is thin and obsolete.

Junctions are for symbolic links, and only valid for directories. NTFS
has "real" hardlinks though CreateLink(). No idea if that works on
remote filesystems though.

But AFAIK, we don't use that on Windows. But the rest of the thread
has indicated why this shows up anyway :)