Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf: samehost and samenet
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2009/8/25 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
> Stef Walter wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> > and not just use SIOCGIFCONF for all Unixen?
>>
>> I do know that using SIOCGIFCONF on AIX comes with strange wrinkles and
>> variable length data structures etc... getifaddrs() on AIX is a far more
>> maintainable interface.
>
> Clearly the getifaddrs code looks nicer.  How can we distinguish the
> SIOCGIFCONF implementations that have wrinkles from those that don't?
> Is there some autoconf macro?

If there are some that do have it, and these platforms support
getifaddrs(), that certainly seems like a worthwhile reason. I was
just looking for the case when the SIOGIFCONF code would be identical
on all platforms - in which case we'd jus tbe maintaining some
unnecessary code. So it seems fine here.

> Something to keep in mind -- my getifaddrs(3) manpage says that on BSD
> it can return addresses that have ifa_addr set to NULL, which your code
> doesn't seem to check.

Eek. This is not defined by any standard, is it? I wonder how many
different behaviours we can find there :(