Re: [ADMIN] pgsql.sh - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jason Boxman
Subject Re: [ADMIN] pgsql.sh
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Jonah Kuo wrote:
>Hello,

Hey!

>First of all, I apologize if this has been discussed before.
>
>I have this startup script 'pgsql.sh' on my FreeBSD-3.0 system,
>everything goes fine except I can't have error messages send to
>the file I specified in this script
>
>#!/bin/sh
>[ -x /tmp/.s.PGSQL.* ] && rm -f /tmp/.s.PGSQL.*
>[ -x /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster ] && {
>        su -l postgres -c 'exec
>    /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
>    -D/usr/local/pgsql/data
>    -S -o -F > /usr/local/pgsql/errlog' &
>    echo -n ' pgSQL'
>}
>
>There was an /usr/local/pgsql/errlog opened, and the error messages are
>always
>send to console  regardless of specifying '-S' option or not.
>
>Is there anybody encountered this before? any help would be grateful.

Just an offhand guess, but maybe you need to also redirect STERR in addition to
STOUT to /usr/local/pgsql/errlog?  Shell scripts have never been my thing, but
isn't it something like "... > /usr/local/pgsql/errlog 2>&1 &" or something
along those lines perhaps? (No since giving misinformation; I just double
checked my own init.d script and it is, in fact, correctly stated above.  Well,
after I fixed my mistake... *grin*.)

--

Sincerely,
Jason Boxman

uselinux@email.com
benefits@cybertechs.com

"We have lived not in proportion to the number of years we have
spent on the earth, but in proportion as we have enjoyed."
-Henry David Thoreau