StreamServerPort: bind() failed - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Joerg Schultz
Subject StreamServerPort: bind() failed
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

after killing a running postmaster I wanted to restart it with
  postmaster -i -d 1 -B 2048 -D /data_dir
but it gave the following error message:

FindBackend: searching PATH ...
FindBackend: found "/coot1/postgres/bin/postgres" using PATH
FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: errno=125
        Is another postmaster already running on that port?
        If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
postmaster: cannot create INET stream port

For sure, there is no other postmaster running. So, I had a coffee, that needed
longer than 'a few seconds' and retried. Same error message. Without '-i' it
works fine. It also works after rebooting the machine. But, who wants to reboot
every time you want to start postmaster ;-)

The system I'm working on is IRIX64 and the used postgresql is version 6.3.2 (
I know, there is 6.4, but I couldn't upgrade yet).

I saw the same question in the archives, but there was no answer :-(

Any help?

Thanks,
Joerg

--
Internet Joerg.Schultz@embl-heidelberg.de
Address  EMBL, Meyerhofstr 1, 69012 Heidelberg, Germany