Re: [HACKERS] Problem after removal of exec(), help - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From dg@illustra.com (David Gould)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Problem after removal of exec(), help
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > No help here, but a request:
> >
> > Could we have an option to do the fork()/exec() the old way as well as the
> > new sleek fork() only. I want to do some performance testing under gprof and
> > want to be able to replace my postgres binary with a shell script to save
> > the gmon.out file eg:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > postgres.bin $*
> > mv gmon.out gmon.$$
> >
> > This won't work unless and exec() is done.
>
> I am confused.  What doesn't work without the exec()?

Replacing the postgres binary with a shell script that executes the real
postgres binary and then moves the gmon.out file out of the way.

    $ mv postgres postgres.bin
    $cat > postgres
    #!/bin/sh
    postgres.bin $*
    mv gmon.out gmon.$$
    ^D
    $ postmaster ...
    $ psql template1

-dg

David Gould           dg@illustra.com            510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software                      300 Lakeside Drive   Oakland, CA 94612
 - A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.