The type int8 and the use of indexes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nelson@radix.com.br
Subject The type int8 and the use of indexes
Date
List pgsql-general
   Hi,

   I realized that PostgreSQL (7.0.3) optimizer doesn´t use indexes in a query
like "select * from my table where pk=1", where the field pk is of
type int8.
I changed the type to int4, and now it uses the index (a lot faster). I also
tryed changing the type to numeric, with the same results.
   Why does it happen? Is there something special with type int8 ???

                                       Thanks,
                                            Nelson