Re: [HACKERS] Bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom I Helbekkmo
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian said:

> The only fix for this would be to read all integers in as 64-bit
> integers, then do the conversion, but that could be a performance
> problem.

Michael Meskes answered:

> I agree. And performance is important. I think explicit type
> conversion is what we should do. Or is it asked for too much if the
> user has to add a ::float8 to the number?

Am I being dense here?  Can there really be a significant performance
hit in the parsing of a query?  Let's say that it takes a millisecond
extra to do the right thing with a number.  Does it matter?  How many
queries per second can we expect to process anyway?

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"