Re: [INTERFACES] libpq problem (really libpq feature request) - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] libpq problem (really libpq feature request)
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
"Jonathan davis" <haj@idianet.net> writes:
> the postgresql client is running under win98 and the server under FreeBSD3.1
> when I'm trying to connect to the server and the server is not running, the
> error message is:
> connectDB() -- socket() failed:
> errno=0
> No error
> and when the password is incorrect, i have the same error
> it is no way to difference the errors !!!

That's because they are the same error --- if the socket() call is
failing then the client is not getting as far as attempting to contact
the server, let alone checking the password.  I do not know why you
are not getting a useful errno value; probably another deficiency of
the Windoze socket code :-(.  But I'd suggest looking at whether
TCP support is turned on, whether there is a problem linking the socket
support library into the application, etc.  Any Win experts here with
an idea what could make socket() fail?
        regards, tom lane