Database subdirectories in V7.1.x - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From rnturn@baxter.com (Rick Turner)
Subject Database subdirectories in V7.1.x
Date
Re: Database subdirectories in V7.1.x  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-admin
Back in August there was a posting regarding the names of database
subdirectories.  Under PostgreSQL 7.0.x the subdirectory names were
the name of the database.  Made a lot of sense.  Now under V7.1.x
we're supposed to somehow know that some numbered subdirectory happens
to be the location of a certain database's files.  Doesn't make /any/
sense at all.  Why?  I have databases that I want to segregate onto
their own filesystem so I have to be able to mount that filesystem
under $PGDATA.  A mount point that has an understandable name would be
nice.

Is there some way to revert back to the V7.0.x way of naming things?
Or is there some workaround to allow one to reasonably manage large
databases under V7.1.x?