Re: Callbacks for NOTIFY - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Scot P. Floess
Subject Re: Callbacks for NOTIFY
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I was wondering, have y'all considered using JMS to broadcast after manipulating the database?  Or is the requirement
specificallyfor the DB to notify?

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Lind <blind@xythos.com>
Sent: Aug 28, 2003 1:37 PM
To: Johann Uhrmann <johann.uhrmann@xpecto.com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Callbacks for NOTIFY

Johann,

I do not know of anyone else working on this, but this has come up a
couple of times in the past so I could be mistaken.  You might want to
check the email archives.

I think this functionality would be an interesting addition to the
driver.  So I encourage you to investigate if you have the interest.
Once you get a firm idea of what you want to do, I would suggest sending
your ideas/design to this list for feedback.  Getting feedback early on
and working that feeback into your patch is the best way of insuring
that what you build can and will get incorporated.

Having said that, I think there are some real challenges in getting this
done due to how notifications are handled by the database.  Specifically
  how do you get the notifications to the client without having the
client poll the server for new notifications.

thanks,
--Barry