Re: pg_basebackup on slave running for a long time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: pg_basebackup on slave running for a long time
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/22/2016 2:34 AM, Subhankar Chattopadhyay wrote:
> So, the question here is while I apply update on Slave, how do I know
> if if it will be able to catch up or I need Wal archive? Is there a
> way I can determine this? In my case, while applying update on slave,
> the db process will be stopped, so the query, even if it gives correct
> value, won't help. Can anybody help in here?

if the slave it setup with the proper recovery commands to fetch from
the WAL archive, then when the slave is woken up after a slumber it will
attempt to recover as many WAL's as it can from the archive before it
resumes streaming.  This will happen automatically.