Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Uh, not sure how you're envisioning that working?  If it fails to find
>> an upgrade script path from the current version to whatever is default,
>> it will still fail to find any path after you explicitly tell it you
>> want to upgrade to that version.

> That's not exactly what happens here.  There would be no "support"
> version alias in the control file, so no way to upgrade to it, and
> "support" would happen to be what ALTER EXTENSION foo UPDATE would
> consider when you don't mention explicitly the target version.

> However, when you do say that you want to upgrade to '2.0' or to
> 'stable', now the upgrade script certainly exists and the version alias
> too, so that the upgrade is possible.  Only explicitly though.

Hmm.  To make that work, we'd have to have ALTER EXTENSION UPDATE use a
different default version name from what CREATE EXTENSION uses (unless
you're willing to also break use of CREATE EXTENSION without an explicit
target version).  I was intending to have "default_version" identify the
default target for both cases.  While we could have different parameters
for the two cases, I think it would mostly just cause confusion.