Re: Question about LWLockAcquire's use of semaphores instead of spinlocks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question about LWLockAcquire's use of semaphores instead of spinlocks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Robert E. Bruccoleri" <bruc@stone.congenomics.com> writes:
> On SGI multiprocessor machines, I suspect that a spinlock
> implementation of LWLockAcquire would give better performance than
> using IPC semaphores.  Is there any specific reason that a spinlock
> could not be used in this context?

Are you confusing LWLockAcquire with TAS spinlocks?

If you're saying that we don't have an implementation of TAS for
SGI hardware, then feel free to contribute one.  If you are wanting to
replace LWLocks with spinlocks, then you are sadly mistaken, IMHO.