Re: Proposal for Re-ordering CONF (was: Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal for Re-ordering CONF (was: Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Agreed, postgresql.conf and the documentation should match.  Guc.c needs
> to be in variable _type_ order, so I don't know what can be done
> there.

We could make each table in guc.c follow the logical ordering Josh
suggests for its subset of the variables.  But on the other hand, it'd
be just as defensible to put each table in alphabetical order.  I'd vote
for doing one or the other rather than leaving the kinda-random order
that's there now.

Josh's proposal looks pretty good to me in general, though some of the
details seem a little odd.  "max_files_per_process" doesn't belong under
lock management (perhaps better to stick it under Memory Usage, possibly
renaming that category to Resource Consumption) and the Query Tuning/Other
section seems kinda random.  But "miscellaneous" variables are always a
bear to classify.