Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case

From: Fabio Pardi
Subject: Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Benjamin Scherrey, )
  Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (winston cheung, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Robert Zenz, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Fabio Pardi, )
  Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
   Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
    Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Nicolas Charles, )
[...]
      Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Imre Samu, )
     Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
     Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
      Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
       Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Neto pr, )
        Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
       Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Mark Kirkwood, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (Jeff Janes, )
 Re: Why HDD performance is better than SSD in this case  (George Neuner, )

Hi Neto,

RAID 0 to store production data should never be used. Never a good idea, in my opinion.

Simple reason is that when you lose one disk, you lose everything.

If your goal is to bench the disk, go for single disk.

If you want to be closer to a production setup, go for RAID 10, or pick a RAID setup close to what your needs and
capabilitiesare (more reads? more writes? SSD? HDD? cache? ...? )

If you only have 2 disks, your obliged (redundant) choice is RAID 1.

regards,

fabio pardi