Re: Sketch of extending error handling for subtransactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sketch of extending error handling for subtransactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I am _still_ unclear on what still needs to be done to complete NT and
> PITR.  Are you more aware of the open issues?

NT: feature-wise, we need to commit the SAVEPOINT-syntax patch, which
I think needs only minor adjustments, and we need to do something with
exception handling in plpgsql, which is what I'm looking at now.
Bug-wise, we had a list of about a dozen bugs and performance problems,
which I think Alvaro is whittling down.  IIRC there were not any that
would really be "can't enter beta with this unfixed" things, even if
he can't get them all done by the end of the month.

PITR: I think the only issue that's really on the table is adding
support that lets us reliably identify the starting and ending WAL
offsets associated with a tar dump.  The former is needed so DBAs
know how far back they must save WAL segments, and the latter is
needed so that restore can sanity-check stopping-point requests.
This is basically what you wanted to add backup-start and backup-stop
server-side functions to support.  I believe Simon is going to take
care of this (if not he'd better speak up).

Other than the spectacular lack of documentation, I don't think we are
in bad shape at all.