Re: Sketch of extending error handling for subtransactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Sketch of extending error handling for subtransactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am _still_ unclear on what still needs to be done to complete NT and
> > PITR.  Are you more aware of the open issues?
>
> NT: feature-wise, we need to commit the SAVEPOINT-syntax patch, which
> I think needs only minor adjustments, and we need to do something with
> exception handling in plpgsql, which is what I'm looking at now.
> Bug-wise, we had a list of about a dozen bugs and performance problems,
> which I think Alvaro is whittling down.  IIRC there were not any that
> would really be "can't enter beta with this unfixed" things, even if
> he can't get them all done by the end of the month.
>
> PITR: I think the only issue that's really on the table is adding
> support that lets us reliably identify the starting and ending WAL
> offsets associated with a tar dump.  The former is needed so DBAs
> know how far back they must save WAL segments, and the latter is
> needed so that restore can sanity-check stopping-point requests.
> This is basically what you wanted to add backup-start and backup-stop
> server-side functions to support.  I believe Simon is going to take
> care of this (if not he'd better speak up).
>
> Other than the spectacular lack of documentation, I don't think we are
> in bad shape at all.

OK, that helps. Alvaro had a number of items floating around and I
wasn't sure where he was on them.   Same with PITR.  Once the number of
open items for a project is over about six, I get lost.  Is there a
sense you and the patch authors have identified them all and are working
on them so I don't have to worry about them?  I don't care if they
aren't done as much as I don't want them to be forgotten.

Agreed on the docs.  I should be done the release notes tomorrow and
then the missing doc items can be listed and addressed.

Pennsylvania19073