Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: maximum number of rows in table - what about oid limits?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Jonathan Bartlett <johnnyb6@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
> Besides compatibility, what breaks when you make OIDs/Txn IDs
> INT8s?

OIDs are part of the on-the-wire protocol (column type data returned
during a SELECT is in the form of OIDs).  So extending OIDs to int8
would pose nontrivial client/server compatibility hazards.

> Maybe there should be a minor fork called Postgres64 which does
> this for those needing large tables.

I've been thinking it should be a compile-time option.  But the protocol
issue is going to be a problem.
        regards, tom lane