From Tom Lane
Subject Re: http://www.postgresql.org/doxlist.html (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I was browsing your compatibility listing and had a possibly odd
> question.  I have Yellow Dog Linux installed on a Power Macintosh and
> wondered if PostgreSQL would work?  Would it be as simple as a recompile
> on my platform, or would it be more complicated?

Since we list PPC mklinux and LinuxPPC as tested platforms, I don't see
any reason to think it wouldn't work.  You might have to do a little
fooling around to cobble together a suitable OS configuration template
file, but I'd surely think it couldn't vary too much from the linux_ppc
template.  Give it a try and let us know.  We always like adding new
platforms to the support list ;-)

BTW, hackers: does anyone understand just how the spinlock support
works on PPC, SPARC, etc?  For example, I see that include/port/linux.h
defines HAS_TEST_AND_SET for __powerpc__ or __sparc__, but that should
mean that there's a machine-specific tas() subroutine somewhere.  All
I can find is code in backend/storage/buffer/s_lock.c that looks like
the right thing, but it's called tas_dummy() not tas()!  How does
control get to it?