Re: [HACKERS] Not getting error if ALTER SUBSCRIPTION syntax iswrong. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Not getting error if ALTER SUBSCRIPTION syntax iswrong.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/05/17 14:40, tushar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While testing 'logical replication' against v10 , i encountered one
> issue where data stop migrating after ALTER PUBLICATION.
>
> X Server
> \\ Make sure wal_level is set to logical in postgresql.conf file
> \\create table/Insert 1 row -> create table test(n int); insert into t
> values (1);
> \\create publication for all -> create publication pub for ALL TABLES ;
>

> Y server
>
> \\ Make sure wal_level is set to logical in postgresql.conf file
> \\create table -> create table test(n int);
>
> \\create Subscription
>
> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION sub CONNECTION 'host=localhost dbname=postgres
> port=5432 ' PUBLICATION pub;
>
> postgres=# select * from test;
> ---
>  1
> (1 row)
>
> \\Alter subscription
> postgres=# alter subscription sub connection 'host=localhost
> dbname=postgres PUBLICATION pub';
> ALTER SUBSCRIPTION
>
> X server
> postgres=# insert into test values (1);
> INSERT 0 1
> postgres=# select * from test;
> ---
>  1
>  1
> (2 rows)
>
> Y server
> postgres=# select * from test;
> ---
>  1
> (1 row)
>
> I think probably syntax of alter subscription is not correct but
> surprisingly it is not throwing an error.

Syntax of ALTER command is correct, syntax of the connection string is
not, you are probably getting errors in log from the replication worker.

We could check validity of the connection string though to complain
immediately like we do in CREATE.

Services