Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From walther@technowledgy.de
Subject Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jelte Fennema-Nio:
> As scripting languages go, the ones that are still fairly heavily in
> use are Javascript, Python, Ruby, and PHP. I think all of those could
> probably work, but my personal order of preference would be Python,
> Ruby, Javascript, PHP.
>
> Finally, I'm definitely biased towards using Python myself. But I
> think there's good reasons for that:
> 1. In the data space, that Postgres in, Python is very heavily used for analysis
> 2. Everyone coming out of university these days knows it to some extent
> 3. Multiple people in the community have been writing Postgres related
> tests in python and have enjoyed doing so (me[1], Jacob[2],
> Alexander[3])

PostgREST also uses pytest for integration tests - and that was a very
good decision compared to the bash based tests we had before.

One more argument for Python compared to the other mentioned scripting
languages: Python is already a development dependency via meson. None of
the other 3 are. In a future where meson will be the only build system,
we will have python "for free" already.

Best,

Wolfgang