RE: [SQL] Getting primary key from insert statement - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael J Davis
Subject RE: [SQL] Getting primary key from insert statement
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have been using this technique for years in Oracle (select next value from
the primary key sequence and insert using this primary key).  I like this
approach.  I don't think a transaction is needed.  Access97 definitely likes
this approach better because it wants to reselect the newly inserted record.
Without the primary key in the insert statement, the re-select can be very
slow and potentially fail because the re-select is only using values
provided in the insert statement.  Retrieving the primary key after the
insert does not help Access97.