RE: [INTERFACES] working with ODBC driver - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael J Davis
Subject RE: [INTERFACES] working with ODBC driver
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Here is a function written in Access (VB) that will execute a vacuum.  This
should also show you how to execute other Postgres commands or functions you
have created in Postgres:  All you need to do is change "vacuum" to anything
you want to call in Postgres.

Public Sub si_vacuum()  Dim wrk As Workspace  Dim usrname As String  Set wrk = DBEngine.Workspaces(0)  usrname =
wrk.UserName Set gWrkODBC = CreateWorkspace("ODBCWorkspace", "postgres", "",

dbUseODBC)  Workspaces.Append gWrkODBC  Set gConODBC = gWrkODBC.OpenConnection("SI_ODBC", , False,
"ODBC;DSN=PostgreSQL;UID=" & usrname & ";PWD=;")    gConODBC.Execute "vacuum;"    gConODBC.Close  gWrkODBC.Close  Set
gWrkODBC= Nothing  Set gConODBC = Nothing  Set wrk = Nothing

End Sub

-----Original Message-----From:    Herbert Ambos [SMTP:herbert@tuba.msuiit.edu.ph]Sent:    Thursday, June 03, 1999 6:59
PMTo:   Robert CarbonariCc:    pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.orgSubject:    Re: [INTERFACES] working with ODBC driver

i had the same problem, but i use MS Access 97 as an interface.
Couldsomebody tell us on what procedures to embark (or script/code) just
tomanipulate (add/delete/vacuum/create...) the database at the back
endserver.  I tried to searc the net about this but i didn't got the
info.Thanks in advance.
Herbert AmbosIligan City, Philippines
> > Hi,> > I'm using VBscript and ADO on my station to manipulate , via the
ODBC> driver, a table on Postgres which is sitting in a Linux server.  > I can Read information from the table (which I
enteredmanually

through> PgAdmin), but I can't add new rows to the table through the
script.  The> script abends after trying to execute the (ADO) AddNew method.
What's> wrong?  Does Postgres not understand this command?  Should I use
ODBC> directly to work with the table?  > > > Robert Carbonari> Programmer> Optimal Robotics Corp.> e-mail:
robertc@optimal-robotics.com>phone:  (514)738-8885 ext. 146> > >