RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael J Davis
Subject RE: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into gdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
How does this work when using Access97 or some other ODBC client instead of
psql?  Psql worked great, the problem existed only when trying to access my
database with an ODBC client.
-----Original Message-----From:    Tom Lane [SMTP:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]Sent:    Thursday, April 29, 1999 4:34 PMTo:
MassimoDal ZottoCc:    hackers@postgreSQL.orgSubject:    Re: [HACKERS] How do I get the backend server into

gdb?
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@cs.unitn.it> writes:> The -W option is passed to the backend which sleeps 15 seconds
before doing> any work. In the meantime you have the time to do a ps, find the
backend pid> and attach gdb to the process.> Obviously you can't do that in a production environment because it
adda a> fixed delay for each connection which will make your users very
angry.
Since it's a -o option, I see no need to force it to be used on
everyconnection.  Instead start psql with environment variable    PGOPTIONS="-W 15"or whatever you need for the
particularsession.  The PGOPTIONS are

sentin the connection request and then catenated to whatever the
postmastermight have in its -o switch.
(BTW, it might be a good idea to go through the backend command-lineswitches carefully and see if any of them could be
securityholes.I'm feeling paranoid because of Matthias Schmitt's unresolved

report...)