Re: how to install just client libraries on windows? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: how to install just client libraries on windows?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> EnterpriseDB are currently handling the creation of the binary installers
> for PostgreSQL. I've been talking with them about some other installer
> issues (where the interferes with system libraries on Linux) too, so
> hopefully they'll be doing some work on their installers soon. Maybe they
> can look at splitting the client library installer into a separate package
> too.

There is virtually no call for a client library installer - I can
recall maybe half a dozen requests for one since 8.0, and most of
those ppl actually wanted psql etc. Libpq is not like an ODBC or JDBC
driver for example, where it may be plugged into any number of generic
apps, but must be specifically linked with each application, thus
application vendors will ship it themselves with their apps. The guys
that are doing that will generally need more than just the client
libraries - for example, they'll need headers and import libraries as
well.

The closest thing we have to a client installer is probably pgAdmin,
which will install libpq and it's dependencies, as well as psql,
pg_dump/pg_dumpall/pg_restore, and of course, pgAdmin.

> Dave: Are there sources available for the EnterpriseDB installer/packaging
> system? I'd like to get into the linux library path patcking problem myself,
> since nobody at EDB seemed to be interested in the issues when discussed on
> -general last week.

As Sachin mentioned, a patch for that was committed late last night
and should move into QA today. The source is periodically pushed to
git.postgresql.org though.

I'll also ask the team to acknowledge any future issues on-list, so
its clear they are being worked on.

--
Dave Page