Re: Build universal binary on Mac OS X 10.6? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Build universal binary on Mac OS X 10.6?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:14 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Israel Brewster <israel@frontierflying.com> writes:
>> I am trying to create a static, universal (x86 and ppc at least - 64
>> bit architectures are optional) build of the PostgreSQL libraries on a
>> Mac OS X 10.6 machine.
>
> I think what you're missing is that the header files generated by
> configure are arch-sensitive.  You need to take steps to make sure that
> each build reads the appropriate header declarations.  Check the
> pgsql-hackers archives for previous discussions of building universal
> binaries on Darwin --- I think the last one was mid-2008 or so.
>
>> I have tried both with PostgreSQL version 8.4.1 and 8.3.8 with the
>> same result.
>
> My recollection is that you want 8.4 for this, previous releases would
> have had even more hoops to jump through to get there.

If you get it to work Israel, please report back to the list. I tried
briefly and failed completely at building a 3 way binary on one
machine. My next attempt was going to involve multiple build machines
and lipo...

--
Dave Page