Re: Build universal binary on Mac OS X 10.6? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Build universal binary on Mac OS X 10.6?
Date
List pgsql-general
Israel Brewster <israel@frontierflying.com> writes:
> I am trying to create a static, universal (x86 and ppc at least - 64
> bit architectures are optional) build of the PostgreSQL libraries on a
> Mac OS X 10.6 machine.

I think what you're missing is that the header files generated by
configure are arch-sensitive.  You need to take steps to make sure that
each build reads the appropriate header declarations.  Check the
pgsql-hackers archives for previous discussions of building universal
binaries on Darwin --- I think the last one was mid-2008 or so.

> I have tried both with PostgreSQL version 8.4.1 and 8.3.8 with the
> same result.

My recollection is that you want 8.4 for this, previous releases would
have had even more hoops to jump through to get there.

            regards, tom lane