Re: about new module to software - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: about new module to software
Date
Re: about new module to software  (Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang@gmail.com>)
List pgadmin-hackers
[Please keep messages on-list]

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 6:17 PM, ivo nascimento <iannsp@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have any prefered feature but I will like to help the development of
> it.
> You have some suggestion?
> Anyway,
> I'm start looking the trunk of project to find some to work but I hope you
> can give a direction if you can.

Well anything you start now is likely to be for the release after next
- we're just starting to wrap up development for the next version now.
The downside of that is that if you work on any major features, you're
not likely to see them in a formal release for 12 months or so. The
upside is that you have 12 months or so to work on a major feature :-)

The TODO list is at http://www.pgadmin.org/development/todo.php - but
be sure to discuss any item you choose to work on here first. Some may
already be in progress, and others may need to be done in specific
ways to fit in with other work. A couple of suggestions though, from
the View Data tool:

- Rewrite the grid cell text editor to use wxStyledTextCtrl rather than a
  wxTextCtrl. This avoids the need to use the RichEdit control on Windows, thus
  eliminating problems with hyperlink formatting creeping into pasted data, as
  well as the extra line ends that get appended to RTF text.

- Write a custom grid cell editor for use with Enum columns. When editing such
  a column, the user should be presented with a combobox containing the enum
  values to choose from.

- Write a custom grid cell display for use with binary columns. The
cell type should
  be able to look at and attempt to recognise certain multimedia data
types and offer
  options to view/hear them and to select a replacement file. For
example, if a JPEG
  header is detected, the user could be offered the ability to view
the image, or replace
  it with an alternate file.

--
Dave Page