Re: Standalone Windows Installation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Standalone Windows Installation
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Jörn Heid <heid@hs-heilbronn.de> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer but here's the longer question as asked in the posts
> before:
>
> How can I use the official "Postgres without installer" distribution without
> compiling the sources for myself and without having to install the
> redistribution application of the VC dlls so that I can distribute an
> "all-inside" folder with all needed binaries, dlls and so on for all Windows
> installations? Is it possible perhaps with a manifest file and bundled dlls
> or is it impossible?

It should be possible by including the contents of the runtime
directory (normally found in
C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700)
and the corresponding manifest found in C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests
(probably renamed to Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest) in the PostgreSQL
bin directory. This is essentially what we do with pgAdmin.

We did run into some problems with this method with the server though
and found it was more reliable to install them as side by side
assemblies in the global cache. I forget the details, but it might
have been that libraries in the PG lib directory weren't correctly
finding the runtimes in the bin directory (which would usually work
for regular DLLs).

--
Dave Page