Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Right, but shouldn't we always output something we know we can read
>> back in (unambiguously), assuming a server with no user defined
>> abbreviations?
>
> That makes no sense because it amounts to saying that we can't ever use
> any abbreviation.

For user defined abbreviations, used for output, yes. But as Tom
points out, the user can remove or change abbreviations that way as
well so it wouldn't work then anyway.

> A more useful restriction would be to only output
> those that are in the set of input-acceptable abbreviations, but perhaps
> this is not easy to implement.

Or just output offsets in every case :-p

--
Dave Page