Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in?
Date
Re: Timezone abbreviations - out but not in?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > "Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> >> It seems like a bug that we happily output PKST as a timezone (in a
> >> 'timestamp with time zone'), but won't accept it back in.
> >
> > [ shrug... ]  The set of timezone abbrevs recognized on input is
> > user-configurable, so that situation will always be possible.
>
> Right, but shouldn't we always output something we know we can read
> back in (unambiguously), assuming a server with no user defined
> abbreviations?

That makes no sense because it amounts to saying that we can't ever use
any abbreviation.  A more useful restriction would be to only output
those that are in the set of input-acceptable abbreviations, but perhaps
this is not easy to implement.