Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM, David Wall <d.wall@computer.org> wrote:

>  > I imagine you can get round the second one by building your software
>  > so it supports PostgreSQL as well - that way you don't 'require
>  > customes to install MySQL'.
>  >
>  Well, I'm not sure how they'd even know you were doing this, but as a
>  commercial company, I'd suggest you not follow that advice since the
>  code would not work without install MySQL.  Yes, they could install PG
>  instead, and if they did, MySQL would have no problem.  But if you use
>  MySQL, then clearly it's required and a commercial license would be
>  required (though perhaps at least you'd put the legal obligation on the
>  end customer).

Huh? I'm suggesting that you write your code to be
database-independent such that it is the user's choice what DBMS he
uses. That way you aren't 'requiring them to install MySQL'. MySQL
cannot hold you liable if a customer chooses to use your closed source
Java/JDBC app with their DBMS if you didn't require it.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK Ltd: http://www.enterprisedb.com