Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wall
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> I imagine you can get round the second one by building your software
> so it supports PostgreSQL as well - that way you don't 'require
> customes to install MySQL'.

Well, I'm not sure how they'd even know you were doing this, but as a
commercial company, I'd suggest you not follow that advice since the
code would not work without install MySQL.  Yes, they could install PG
instead, and if they did, MySQL would have no problem.  But if you use
MySQL, then clearly it's required and a commercial license would be
required (though perhaps at least you'd put the legal obligation on the
end customer).  Of course, all of this is based on reading their high
level stuff, not the actual legal document that may be tighter or looser.

That fact that there's so much confusion and so many instances in which
commercial licenses would be required that I say they are only open
source in self-branding, not reality.

David