Re: WINDOWS INSTALLATION TIPS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: WINDOWS INSTALLATION TIPS
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 12, 2008 8:19 AM, Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> wrote:
> > a) if your server is hosted in a dataceneter
> > for installation on windows 2000 you cannot use terminal service.
>
> Hmm - this *should* be documented somewhere. I don't really use Windows
> and I know about it somehow.

It is indeed documented:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#3.5

It will run on a TS enabled machine - you just cannot run the server
or initdb from a TS session. You can overcome this by runing the
installation directly on the console, or on the console via VNC, or
using the terminal services client in console mode (eg. mstsc /console
)

> > b) postgres database server will not install as an user with administrator
> > rights.
>
> Indeed not. Or rather, it won't run as an administrator. I think you
> should be able to run the installer as Administrator and tell it to do
> the next step for you. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually 8.2 and above will (quite safely) on Windows:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#2.3

For the technically minded it does so by creating a restricted
security token from which all administrative group memberships are
removed and then re-execs itself using that token. The child process
doesn't have the privileges to re-elevate itself which is what makes
it safe.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company