Re: WINDOWS INSTALLATION TIPS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: WINDOWS INSTALLATION TIPS
Date
Re: WINDOWS INSTALLATION TIPS
List pgsql-general
INDIANNIC-HOSTING wrote:

> we have written below a few lines which may help others. this applies to
> win2k and also apply to win2003

Always good to have someone take the time to document their experiences.

> a) if your server is hosted in a dataceneter
> for installation on windows 2000 you cannot use terminal service.

Hmm - this *should* be documented somewhere. I don't really use Windows
and I know about it somehow.

> b) postgres database server will not install as an user with administrator
> rights.

Indeed not. Or rather, it won't run as an administrator. I think you
should be able to run the installer as Administrator and tell it to do
the next step for you. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

 > So before starting installation create some random user :
> "my_postgres" under computer management > users , and remember the
> password.

Yes, but it's probably better to call the user "postgres" unless you
have a reason not to. Traditionally that's the default user-name.

One other point that can catch people out is that internal database
users aren't the same as O.S. users, although if you try and connect via
psql and don't give it a user-name it will default to using the current
O.S. user.

Thanks for documenting your experience. Remember to always keep
up-to-date with minor version-number updates.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd