Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gokulakannan Somasundaram
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for Null Bitmap Optimization(for TrailingNULLs)
Date
List pgsql-patches
Thanks for the suggestions. I am re-submitting the patch in contextual diff format.

As far as storage savings are concened, the patch claims whatever is stated. I checked it by creating a table with 10 columns on a 32 bit machine. i inserted 100,000 rows with trailing nulls and i observed savings of 400Kbytes.
I did a similar test for index and i found similar space saving.

I have tested regression in both 32 bit system and 64 bit system.

Please go through the patch and provide further suggestions.

--
Thanks,
Gokul.