Re: Fwd: Clarification about HOT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gokulakannan Somasundaram
Subject Re: Fwd: Clarification about HOT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks Heikki. To clarify, there won't be any redirect-line pointers in this implementation. That space is saved. We will have the index tuple point to the latest live tuple in the update chain.  So no need for redirect-line pointers.

Thanks,
Gokul.

On 11/5/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Gokulakannan Somasundaram wrote:
>> There's also the little problem that a redirect line pointer doesn't
>> have room for a cross-page link,
>
> i don't know, what is a re-direct line pointer.

Then you clearly don't understand at all how HOT works. Please go read
src/backend/access/heap/README.HOT.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com