Re: Implicit conversion from string to timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Implicit conversion from string to timestamp
Date
List pgsql-general
David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> writes:
> I have some generic code to which I pass a series of values to be inserted
> into a PostgreSQL table which includes a field which is defined as a timestamp
> and which I wish to populate with a string of the form
> "yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm:ss.SSS".  Under pg 8 and before this worked fine
> but now with 8.1 I seem to be getting an exception which reads:-

> ERROR: column "created" is of type timestamp without time zone but expression
> is of type character varying

> All this is done using JDBC (so I suppose it might be a JDBC error).

Check the JDBC archives --- I think you're probably getting burnt by
some side effect of the changes they made to use parameterized queries.
You have to be a lot more honest now about informing the JDBC driver
what datatype your statement parameters really are.

            regards, tom lane