Re: Beginner's Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anton Melser
Subject Re: Beginner's Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 3/10/07, Don Lavelle <don.lavelle.bulk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, all,
> >
> > Thank you all for your help!  From what I've gathered, similarly
> > sized projects run on 100 MB of disk space and a 450 MHz processor.
> > My GUI and application logic aren't going to need much more than
> > that, so I should be good to go!
> >
> > PostgreSQL it is!  I'm sure I will have many, many more questions as
> > I continue the development process.

For something like what you are doing, providing (and this is a BIG
providing) you won't want to distribute it under a commercial licence
without paying a fee (it has gpl and commercial), something like db4o
might be better. It is very lite and after you get used to it should
save you lots of development time. It is an object database, and
basically you just do things like

objectDatastore.set(myObject);

myOjbect = objectDatastore.get(ItsType);

And instead of having to have a separate object and sql models and
translation, you just have objects.
It works in a client server environment, and for small projects is quite nice.
Cheers
Anton