Re: vacuuming problems continued - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Antoine
Subject Re: vacuuming problems continued
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi all and thanks for your responses. I haven't yet had a chance to
tweak the autovac settings but I really don't think that things can be
maxing out even the default settings.
We have about 4 machines that are connected 24/7 - they were doing
constant read/inserts (24/7) but that was because the code was
rubbish. I managed to whinge enough to get the programme to read, do
the work, then insert, and that means they are accessing (connected
but idle) for less than 5% of the day. We have about another 10
machines that access (reads and updates) from 8-5. It is running on a
P4 with 256 or 512meg of ram and I simply refuse to believe this load
is anything significant... :-(.
There are only two tables that see any action, and the smaller one is
almost exclusively inserts.
Much as I believe it shouldn't be possible the ratio of 5:1 for the db
vs fresh copy has given me a taste for a copy/drop scenario...
I will try and increase settings and keep you posted.
Cheers
Antoine

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.