Re: Persistent connections in PHP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: Persistent connections in PHP
Date
Re: Persistent connections in PHP  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Aug 13, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On 8/13/07, Naz Gassiep <naz@mira.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     Does the connection pooling feature of PHP cause the persistent
>> connections to keep the properties between accesses? E.g., if a user
>> takes a connection, sets a timezone to it using SET TIMEZONE, will
>> the
>> next user who happens to take this connection get it in that same
>> state,
>> or will it be reset to a blank or starting state as though it had
>> been
>> opened? Also, what about temp tables? Will they be present to the
>> second
>> user if the first user set some up?
>
> Except for a few special uses, persistent connections in php are more
> of a misfeature.  They are NOT pooling, in the standard sense.  Most
> of the time they cause more problems than they solve.

I'll agree with Scott on this one.  (Not that I can recall
specifically ever disagreeing with him before...).  Unless you know
all of the potential caveats associated with php's persisent postgres
connections and have a use case that fits them, don't use them.  If
you need something to pool connections, look at pgpool.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888