Re: Persistent connections in PHP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Trutwin
Subject Re: Persistent connections in PHP
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:44:26 -0500
Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> wrote:

> I'll agree with Scott on this one.  (Not that I can recall
> specifically ever disagreeing with him before...).  Unless you
> know all of the potential caveats associated with php's persisent
> postgres connections and have a use case that fits them, don't use
> them.  If you need something to pool connections, look at pgpool.

Could elaborate a little on the problems with using php's persistent
connections?

Personally I use ADODB php abstraction library (adodb.sf.net) for my
database stuff and I think there's a way to enable persistent
connections though I just use the default connection.

I've heard before that php's persistent connections are to be
avoided, was just curious as to why though?

Thanks!

Josh